Interestingly enough, the word “cleave” is the only word in the American dictionary that has an opposing meaning. If you look the word up, you will find it is defined as “to split, to divide, to sever, to splinter.” And, if you look it up in biblical context, it means “to glue, to adhere to, to join, to stick.” At first thought, these may seem conflicting definitions—“Stick together and cut apart.”
Of course, the world has its own logical explanation, stating that the word “cleave” was originally two different words, from two different origins, with two entirely different meanings. The Hebrew is also relatively complex, BUT not at all confusing. (To put it loosely, bâqa‛–to split/dâbaq—to join)
LEAVE TO CLEAVE
Spiritually, you will find the word “cleave” just as it is, makes perfected sense. In order to CLEAVE to something or someone, you must turn your back to, break a bond with, or separate yourself from something or someone else. The following verse from scripture will give you a great visual:
Therefore a man leaves his mother and his father and cleaves to his wife, and they become one flesh.GENESIS 2:24
We must leave to CLEAVE. Now that we have this understanding, we can better define the reality of what we are clinging to in our present day life, and at the same time gain a better picture of our reality.
WHAT ARE YOU CLINGING TO?
In these latter days of turmoil (and uncertainty for many), people are holding to and putting their trust in what they believe will carry them through, come what may. Many are clinging to their (thoughts of) wealth—money, crypto currency, precious metals, etc.
They shall throw their silver into the streets and their gold. Their silver shall be despised and their gold cannot save them in the day of the anger of the MOST HIGH. Their souls will not be satisfied and they shall not fill their bellies. This suffering is the reward of their evils . . .EZEKIEL 7:19
Many choose to put their faith in idols . . .
The carpenter stretcheth out his rule; he marketh it out with a line; he fitteth it with planes, and he marketh it out with the compass, and maketh it after the figure of a man, according to the beauty of a man; that it may remain in the house.ISAIAH 44:13
Idols are profitable for NOTHING. In the Scroll of Isaiah (Chapter 44) it speaks (in depth) about idols—they are worthless! But still a man will cling in ignorance and be ashamed. As it is written, they that make a graven image are all of them vanity. In the Scroll of Jeremiah we are told, “Their idols are like scarecrows in a cucumber field, and they cannot speak; they have to be carried, for they cannot walk. Do not be afraid of them, for they cannot do evil, neither is it in them to do good.”
Still, others cling to their patriotic sentiments, philosophy, and empty deceit. They hold to human traditions and the elemental spirits of the world, as spoken of in Colossians 2:8.
You leave the commandment of God and hold to the tradition of men.MARK 7:8
There are a slew of other things we choose to hold to, but a witness of these 3 are well enough. This month, may we all take thought of what the MOST HIGH CREATOR has instructed for us to CLEAVE (cling, hold) to, above all.
- We are to fear the Most High and serve Him and CLING to Him, and swear by His name. (DEUT. 10:12)
- We must be careful to keep all this commandment He is telling us to do, and love our Creator, and HOLD fast to Him, and walk in all His ways. (DEUT 11:22)
- We are to follow Him and fear Him, and listen to His voice; to serve Him and CLING to Him. (DEUT 13:4)
- Our forefathers (unto to the ancients) failed to listen, but as we should and so do now . . . As a waistband clings to the waist of a man, so He made the whole Household of Israel and the whole Household of Judah to CLING to Him, that we might be a people for Him, for renown, for praise and for glory. (JEREMIAH 13:11).
- We are to CLEAVE to our Creator, by trusting in His promises, seeking His favor, and caring only for His approval, and not that of men. HaMashiach points us (in all ways and things) back to our ABBA.
- And, we are to “Represent!” For it is written in Zechariah 8:23—Thus saith the LORD of hosts; In those days it shall come to pass, that ten men shall take HOLD out of all languages of the nations, even shall take HOLD of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you.
- And at last the seals will all be loosed before the hearing and eyes of all people, never to be sealed again forever, AND all who hear the truth must choose to CLING to it or reject it. (BOOK OF REMEMBRANCE of Melchizedek, Little Book 3:7)
As you immerse, may you take notice of that which you are clinging to. And if you must, may you have the faith and the strength to “Leave to CLEAVE” to the Holy One of Israel. So be it!
(Cover Photo by Wallpaperflare.com)